With the current global health situation, a lot of people will be staying indoors more over the next few weeks, whether through choice or not. I’ve been at home a lot more myself due to having to work from home, rather than going into the office and I am already climbing the walls. I really struggle to stay inside the house all day for just 24 hours, let alone weeks at a time so this has got me thinking of different things I can do to occupy my mind and time.
This week, I’ve also seen a lot of posts being shared about how to look after your mental health during this period and I think a lot of it is to do with structure, looking after your body with exercise and a good diet and staying productive, so I’ve been trying to incorporate some of those things into my own list, otherwise, I will definitely be the person to end up eating toast for breakfast, lunch and dinner and be the size of a house as well as the biggest neggy nancy by the time this whole thing blows over.
I’m going to be posting a lot more on here for the foreseeable as it’s a good way for me to keep my mind active and stay creative, so first I thought I would start with a simple list of things that you could do whilst staying indoors, on the off chance that you are also already starting to climb the walls like me!
- A daily workout from YouTube or a fitness app
- Read a new book
- Start a TV series. Netflix and Sky have totally got us covered here
- Polish up your cookery skills
- Spring clean the kitchen cupboards (and everywhere else)
- Bake a cake
- Spend some time in the garden
- Clear out your wardrobe, bag up some bits for the Charity shop and list the rest on Depop or eBay
- Find a new podcast
- Join Skillshare and learn something you’ve never had the time to focus on before
- Start some morning/evening yoga or meditation
- Switch up the furniture and give your home a bit of a makeover
- Make some plans for later in the year
- Organise all of your paperwork, things like receipts, bank statements etc.
- Clear out your crap drawer (we all have one so don’t pretend that you haven’t)
- Get creative. Draw, paint, write, make some music – whatever takes your fancy
- Spend time away from technology and instead play some board games or card games
- Sort through your handbag and purse
- Make a list of ‘life admin’ you’ve been putting off and work your way through it
- Video call your family and friends to stay in touch
I’m really mindful of the sensitivity of this situation we’re all going through but I’m also very conscious that some people still want to retain a bit of normality to take their mind off things. I have really had to curb the amount of news I’m taking in because it’s really stressing me out, to hear about things every 2 minutes – so if you’re similar, I really hope some of these suggestions will help you out and give you some sense of accomplishment when out of your usual daily routine.
If nothing else, we should all have immaculately clean and clutter-free homes in a few months time but let me know if there are any other ideas you think we could add to this list!